Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Butternut squash loaf... or muffins




Sometimes I feel like I have a morgue in my freezer...of bananas. I usually have a good whack of them in there, but today I saw something else. A jar of squash puree smiling at me. I thought it would be a good candidate for a loaf, and I was right. There was a little extra batter so I made a few mini muffins for the kids, topped off with a little Tofutti cream cheese!


Butternut Squash Loaf- or muffins

2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup organic cane sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

1/2 cup canola oil
2 cups squash puree
2 tbsp black strap molasses
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup water

pumpkin seeds

Preheat oven to 350
Whisk dry ingredients together
Combine wet in a small bowl.
Pour wet into dry. Mix up well.
In a greased loaf pan, sprinkle pumpkin seeds over and bake for 50 minutes or until done.


7 comments:

  1. I have the same issues with bananas, for some reason I keep buying them but never actually eat them and now my freezer is overflowing. I'm sure I'll get around to making banana bread one of these days.
    Mmmm, I love butternut squash loaf. I only made it once but I loved the flavour. Yours looks much lighter then mine turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I love the sprinkling of pepitas on top. I've heard of cooking with frozen squash puree before but I haven't done it with anything except pumpkin.
    Question about baking with frozen bananas - Do you just defrost them as use them as though they were fresh? I've only used frozen bananas in smoothies; I wish I had such a surplus! I can't get enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Maggie this loaf was pretty light. This was the first time I made a squash loaf. I like the flavor, its not as sweet as banana bread.

    Foodfeud...Yes totally use them like they were fresh. Actually I think the flavor is better once they have reached there ripening peak. I just take them out and place them in a bowl, the juice is kinda messy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks sooo good.

    I too have a banana morgue in my freezer. So easy to whip up banana bread when a friend pops in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a pumpkin morgue in my freezer. I am lazy, I only cubed it and never made any puree. But now I feel motivated to make some so I can make this loaf.

    ReplyDelete
  6. they look beautiful and love your photography!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound healthy and delicious. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your muffins up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2012/01/sweets-for-saturday-51.html

    ReplyDelete