Saturday, October 8, 2011

MOFO Iron Chef Challange: Chickpea Frittata



Its a Vegan MOFO Iron Chef Challenge and the secret ingrident is...

CHICKPEAS!

I thought it would be fun to do a brunch recipe..since that is what time of day it is for us here, and I am starving. I have made vegan quiche lots but never a vegan frittata. Its basically a quiche without the crust and filled with vegetables.  I did mine in a casserole dish in the oven..but I am sure you could try and cook it in a non-stick skillet too. O yeah..its gluten free too!



Chickpea Frittata

1 block medium tofu
1 cup soy milk
1/2 cup nutrional yeast
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup chickpea flour

1 potato peeled and small diced
1 large shallot-sliced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup chickpeas
1/2 tsp garlic powder
fresh ground pepper
sea salt to taste
fresh parsley (optional)
green onions (optional)
fresh tomato slices (optional)

Using a blender, mix up the first 6 ingriedents.
Over medium heat saute the potato until golden, add the rest of the veggies and season to taste.
In greased casserole dish combine the soy mixture with veggies. Bake at 375 for 50 minutes.

10 comments:

  1. That looks great, I've never had a frittata before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! I've also never done the frittata thing before, seemed to turn out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can chickpea flour be substituted for regular flour?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Maria. I would say sure..do it...or use 2 tbsp of cornstarch instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how about using quinoa flour instead of chickpea?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished making this for my family for brunch and it was totally delicious! Great recipe. ^__^

    My only question was about the 'medium' tofu. I've never seen medium tofu before, only silken, firm and extra firm, so I was a little confused. I only had a block of extra-firm in the house, so I used that and it came out absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey greyout!
    Awesome that you made it:)
    Werid that you have never seen medium tofu? I guess my suggestion would be to use half a block of firm and a small box of silken, blend that up together....next time.
    Thanks for checking out my blog!

    ReplyDelete