Monday, September 13, 2010

Moroccan style summer squash stew

Stew has to be one of the most unpretentious foods ever invented, but I love the way vegetables simmer in spices and broth melting together in a pot of deliciousness. I picked up an acorn squash at the vegetable stand at the end of the elderly couples driveway. I wish I had a better name to call it....and it was in the fridge for week.

Today I stacked 2 cords of firewood in our wood shed, when I got in the house I was SO not excited to cook. My back killed and my legs ached.  I still had to feed the herd...I whipped this up and I was very pleased :)

A cinnamon stick gives just the right amount of warmth. I used dried lentils but it could be changed up to chickpeas ( I didn't have any soaked).

2 tbsp olive oil
1 leek-white part- sliced
1 celery stalk- small diced
1 acorn squash- peeled and chopped
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp dried oregano
1 cinnamon stick
2 bay leafs
1/2 tsp garlic powder
4 cups water
1 yellow zucchini- chopped
1 cup baby carrots- or any type
2 tomatoes- chopped
3/4 cup dried lentils
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1 pinch sugar
sea salt
freshly ground pepper
fresh chopped parsley (for garnish)

In a large pot heat oil add leek, saute until soft. Add celery and squash. Add spices and herbs. Stir until absorbed. Add water and the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 1 hour.
Season with sea salt and pepper.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to make this! Looks fantastic. Thanks Kirsten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made it subbing lentils for cooked chickpeas and leek for onion with an addition of 4-5 small red potatoes and it tasted absolutely incredible. It has already made its way into my recipe book! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! What a great time of year to be cooking squash! Have you ever tried butternut squash risotto? It's my fave!

    ReplyDelete