Thursday, July 29, 2010

Neat & Potatoes


Its no surprise that people love their neat & potatoes...this is just a different version of it.

For the neat part, I soaked about 2 cups worth of kidney beans and cooked them up until they were really soft.

The secret behind the fluffiest mash potatoes is a ricer. I found mine at the thrift store. Its pretty cool, heavy duty and red. Its probably one of the most overlooked pieces that you can have in your kitchen. A masher just doesn't give you the same consistency. If you like the no-lumps in your potatoes, invest in one ( or find one :)

We have a friend staying with us...who is also a vegan. Which is nice because it means I don't have to cook around him so to speak. Its always hard to cater to non-vegans.haha

My mom said to me this afternoon...that is hard to go out to restaurants with "me" because I can't eat anything. Which got me thinking, about meat and potato people. Why does everything most people eat revolve around meat? When there is so many other tastier, healthier, greener options out there?
I ate meat...back in the day, but honestly I have never felt better (becoming vegan) in my life.....

Neat Balls

2 cups cooked kidney beans (really, really soft)
1 onion- minced
1 tbsp ground sage
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
1 tbsp tamari
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 cup oats


Mash everything together in a large bowl.
Form into balls and bake at 400 on a greased cookie sheet
for 25-30 minutes

5 comments:

  1. I have to try this recipe :) That looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. These sound healthy and amazing. Gonna have to give this a whirl. Think I can hide the fact that there's beans in this recipe from my boyfriend? He hates beans. (Sigh.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. People used to be worried about our vegan diets when we would go out to eat, but I found a list of common restaurants and vegan options online. I just printed it out and carry it in my purse. Helps when I am out with non-vegans. Plus they can see that we eat more than lettuce and water!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I just found your blog and love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this recipe, i made it so many time, everybody loves it, i was just looking up today to make it for dinner, and i realized we met at your restaurant. We had a super tasty lunch there. Your food is so delicious.

    ReplyDelete