Sunday, June 20, 2010

The bad ass of the vegan world : SEITAN


Seitan...the bad ass of the vegan world. If you have a wheat allergy stay away. For all those who don't. GIVER!

This is the best "meat" alternative to overly priced store bought stuff. Super easy to make, if you buy the gluten flour. There is a method to making your own gluten flour...but that isn't what I used for this.

I have only a little experience in seitan making, from a previous restaurant that I worked at.  I used the method that I learned. Pretty much you add seasoning to the gluten flour, stir until combined, and pour in cold water or stock. Stir that up until it resembles dough like consistency. Shape into a log. Wrap in cheese cloth or a clean kitchen towel ( I didn't have any cheese cloth lying around :P) Tie up with string or twine, submerse in a pot of boiling stock. Let cook for 1 1/2 hours. Topping up the water as it evaporates.

It is best to cook it again,as if you were using raw tofu. We made the most delicious Vietnamese style sandwiches...After the seitan is cooked, slice about a cup worth of the log, and saute in garlic, onions, soy sauce, chilies, red wine vinegar, maple syrup, sea salt. On a bun add vegan mayo, shredded carrot, shredded cabbage, fresh cilantro and the sauteed seitan. I wish I had a picture, but we took the sandwiches down to the beach, and gobbled them up :P

I found this recipe on the web...and changed it a little bit.

2 cups gluten flour
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp dried oregano
2 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp fennel seeds- toasted and crushed
1 tbsp sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper

1 cup veggie broth
1/2 cup veggie oil
2 tbsp molasses
1 tbsp white vinegar

1 large pot of boiling water/stock

Combine dry ingredients
Combine wet ingredients
Add wet to dry, stir until mixed up good
Form dough into a log shape and roll up in a kitchen towel/ or cheese cloth.
Tie ends and wrap around the log with string.
Submerse in a pot of boiling water or stock, for 1 1/2 hours.
Remove cloth, and store in an airtight container in the fridge.

2 comments:

  1. YUM! I have yet to try making my own seitan. I actually have been scared ofthe flavor but this is very appealing! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the seitan! I have made my own and totally prefer it to store bought! You are too funny! Good directions for me for down the road!
    (Loved the title of your post, too!)

    ReplyDelete