Saturday, May 22, 2010

Sweet Potato & Tamarind Curry with Basmati rice

It been almost a week since my last post, both my daughters have been very sick with the flu :( I feel so helpless at times. I know I just have to give them lots of love and fluids.

This week I have slacked a bit on the kitchen duties.
I have been cooking the really quick dinners. You know the kind, BLT's, spaghetti, soup, etc.

Tonight I made a quick curry...one of my favorite comfort foods. I luv'it!!
I wish I had more experience in Indian cooking, maybe if I return to the restaurant industry, I would love to try my hand in a professional Indian kitchen.

I used the tamarind I bought a while back. I remember my first experience using it. I just added it, and ended up with a crunchy-seedy curry. Not the best. So this time I soaked a chunk of it in a little water and loosened the seeds. Drained it and added it to the curry. It has a sweet and sour taste, I think it gives the curry more "umpf".

I also have some exciting news...but I can't divulge it quite yet ;) I will know more as the week progresses. hehehe

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion-sliced
3 cloves garlic-minced
1 tbsp fresh ginger-minced
1 tbsp cumin powder
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp curry powder
1/4 tsp allspice
2 tbsp fennel seeds- toasted and crushed
1 can coconut milk
1 can water
3 tbsp tamarind paste- soaked in 1/4 cup water-drained
1 cup cooked chickpeas
1 green pepper-chopped
2 tsp cane sugar
2 tsp sea salt
freshly ground pepper

In a large saute pan heat pan on medium high heat, add oil.
Add onions and saute for 3-4 minutes until soft. Add garlic and ginger.
Add spices and stir around until no longer powdery.
Add potato, stir to cover with spices.
Add coconut milk and water. Bring to a boil. Let simmer for 5 minutes
Add chickpeas and tamarind. Season with sugar,salt and pepper.

3 comments:

  1. Hope your little ones are hetting better...no fun!
    Picture is gorgeous and I love sweet potatoes in curry!
    What's the news?!?!?! :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow... I'm sooooooo happy I just discovered this blog! My mouth is watering and I can't wait to make my grocery list and give some of these recipes a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 Researches REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally burn fat by eating coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from major medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete